Sunday 8 June 2014

Sunday Postings

Today's post is more a musing of things found on the interwebs that I've been looking at over the last few weeks. Some of it is hockey-related, and some of the stuff is from the far-off regions of the internet where hockey doesn't exist, but some cool stuff does. Personally, I've been looking for stuff to fill the hockey void that comes with the summer months, and I may have found a few things to make this blog better while filling that very void of which I was just speaking. In any case, just as 28 other NHL teams are doing, let's hit the links.

IceCaps Visit Stars

The AHL's Calder Cup Final kicks off tonight, and I am pulling for the St. John's IceCaps in a big way. Besides the team being the AHL affiliate of the Winnipeg Jets, I think it's important that St. John's wins this series for the fans in St. John's, Newfoundland. I have been bothered for some time now since the Jets announced a plan to investigate the feasibility of moving their AHL affiliate to Thunder Bay, Ontario. I get the monetary and time issues faced by the Jets and IceCaps in terms of distance and cost of moving players back and forth between the Jets and IceCaps, but the people of St. John's - the people keeping the franchise in the black and buying into the IceCaps 100% - are those that will feel the sting of the IceCaps leaving.

I understand that things in the business world are different than what they are in reality, and rarely do feel-good stories ever make a positive difference in a bottom-line. However, the Jets and IceCaps can do one thing right, and bring the Calder Cup back to Newfoundland before they decide to head west. So in saying that, let's go IceCaps!

The Pit Hockey Story

If you're a regular reader of HBIC, you probably saw the story on SUNY Story Brook's pit hockey phenomenon in the late-1970s and 1980s. Needless to say, it got a lot of reads from people who may not frequent this blog a lot, but I take immense pride in digging up this information because the story is pretty neat. In saying that, I got a great tweet from Chris D'Orso who blogged about pit hockey on his site after seeing my article!

How cool is that? If that link doesn't work for some reason, Chris' article can be found here as a link back to his @cdorso site! Chris has a ton more info on there as he went deep into the Stony Brook archives to pull out some gems! Well done, Chris, and thanks for contacting me with your piece! I am really impressed!

Simpsons NHL Logos

You may have seen them on a number of sites that talked about how great the NHL logos with characters from The Simpsons used in them. I'll tell you right now that I'm not linking to them. It's not that they aren't creative or artistic, but I personally find the inclusion of various characters into NHL logos destroys the integrity of the logo itself. You won't see them here on HBIC. Nor will you see the Pokemon-ized NHL logos. Not a fan at all. Sorry.

Things Submitted To UniWatch

Some cool stuff appeared in the ticker section this past week on UniWatch. I've credited the finds with those who were credited on UniWatch as well.
That'll do it for a Sunday. It's a big night for the Winnipeg Jets franchise as the IceCaps look to capture the Calder Cup in the next two weeks. It starts tonight in Cedar Point, Texas, so go IceCaps go!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: