Saturday 10 August 2013

NHL Animal Week - Anaheim

The NHL has a few teams with logos that feature animals, so it became apparent that with Shark Week on Discovery Channel that I should feature an NHL Animal Week where some real biology can be discussed! There are seven teams that distinctively could be featured, and we've taken a look at the animals in the logos of the San Jose Sharks, Florida Panthers, Boston Bruins, Pittsburgh Penguins, and Phoenix Coyotes in the previous days. Today, we focus on a waterfowl species in the NHL as we take flight with the Anaheim Ducks on HBIC's NHL Animal Week!

Saturday - Anaheim Ducks

Since there are no ducks that I can find that combine the colors of black, champagne, and orange, I'm just going to make this a generic article about ducks. Ironically, it will be similar to the generic workmark used by the Ducks across their chest. In any case, all ducks belong to Family Anatidae which includes swans and geese. That covers a lot of waterfowl, but there are many different evolutionary paths leading to the number of ducks species seen today, so ducks are classified as a form taxon - a group of species that share a similar overall form. Science is working to change this form taxonomy since it allows for great variations within taxa without proper scientific investigation or explanation. However, for simplicity's sake, we'll stick with the form taxon in this article thanks to the generic Anaheim Ducks logo.

But rather than me droning on in written word, I decided to go out and find someone who actually accomplished something when it comes to ducks. Thanks to YouTube, I discovered a "duckumentary" by Monelle Britt that earned her a $35,000 scholarship into Full Sail University! So without further adieu, here is Monelle and her documentary A Day in the Life of a Duck.
I have to say that Monelle did a pretty solid job! With the vast number of duck species out there, it would be hard to speak about anything concrete since some species differ greatly. Monelle did a fantastic job in just over four minutes in talking about ducks while providing great visuals.

Since the numbers on HBIC have plummeted since the summer started, I'm clearly not keeping readers interested. Tomorrow, I'm going to regroup. I'll post a funny video, and I have a plan to write a serious look at a hockey topic for Monday. You'll probably want to read that, especially if you're a fan of international hockey. To those who stop by frequently, thank you. Please tell your friends, families, co-workers, teammates, and anyone else that HBIC is looking for their readership because I want to know what you, readers, want to see on this site. Comment below, send emails, tweet me - anything that I can bring to you in terms of information is something I'll investigate!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

1 comment:

Gene said...

Great blog, look forward to reading more.