Saturday 9 February 2008

Greatest Hockey Movies

Hollywood has generally done some decent movies about hockey. No, I'm not referring to the Mighty Ducks franchise that Disney so proudly built on and to which they subjected us. Instead, I'm talking about some of the truly iconic classics out there. You can make a case for a lot of hockey movies, but I believe there are some specific scenes from non-hockey movies that show just how important of a game hockey is in both Canadian and American cultures.

Here are a few scenes hockey scenes from some Hollywood movies. And don't even try to tell me that these scenes aren't memorable.


Slapshot - "You feel shame."


STRONG LANGUAGE IN THIS ONE
Swingers - "Mikey, check it out... his head's bleeding."


The Rocket - this movie was excellent.


STRONG LANGUAGE IN THIS ONE
Bon Cop Bad Cop - Rick Mercer is hilarious.



Ok, I'm sure there are others, and I invite you to include them in your comments. By the way, if I see anyone reference Jean-Claude Van Damme's Sudden Death as a "good hockey movie", I'll pull an Ogie Oglethorpe on you. Miracle and Mallrats should be in there as well, but I couldn't find the scenes I was looking for. Youngblood with Rob Lowe just has too much 1980s cheesy drama for me.

Ok, if this blizzard lets up, I'm off to Winkler, Manitoba for Hockey Day In Canada. Hopefully, I'll be able to make it out there.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

OH MAN. I LOVE that clip from Slapshot. One of my favorite scenes in the whole movie.

And I agree. Rocket Richard is a great, great movie.

Tiffany said...

DUDE! MYSTERY ALASKA!!!!!